WIP update – ‘greenwork’ sampler

20150728_102054

Sorry about the damp spot – there was a bit of washable pen staining I had to get out

20150728_102042 So the annoying this about this is that in good lighting (second) you can barely see the middle threads, and they have the best designs! In poor light (first) I think it’s better because the aida isn’t reflecting / making shadows. I will have to try this sort of thing again, maybe with reds and pinks? I’ve got six and a half squares to go so I will finish. It’s just a shame it didn’t work out so well.

Experimenting with chain stitch

These aren’t recent stitchings but I’ve just recently rediscovered them!

So I wanted to ‘draw’ an outline picture and after some googling I thought chain stitch looked the best to go for. I then tried to make something of this new found skill! At the time I was very into an anime series, Kanon! I think my aim was to make a full set, but they ended up hiding in my boxes of UFOs. They’re stitched with unbranded thread on a pair of old trousers 🙂 My big mistake (as I know now) is outlining in pencil. I have learnt from my mistake. If they look a bit tatty it’s because they’re been shoved at the bottom of a box for 2 years or so!

20150716_092213

For Makoto I did her hair in 2 strands, and everything else in 1 strand, to mix up the texture a bit. I picked out the colour of her skirt and ribbons by filling them in.

20150716_092229Mai doesn’t have a lot in the way of colour, so instead of filling in I decided to draw her hair using blue thread (because she has blue hair, duh).

I never considered myself an artist so I’m actually quite proud of these. The hardest bit for me was drawing the outline of the figure in the first place!

Having learnt not to use pencil I bought a water soluble pen from Hobbycraft. This is brilliant – not just for outlining embroidery but it helps keep me from making mistakes in cross stitch patterns!

This is an old fashioned Winnie the Pooh on felt. I thought he turned out pretty well! Practice really does help you improve! Maybe I’ll find some orange felt and do Tigger?

CIMG1208

More chain stitching

So I got Pokemon X for christmas last year (OH got Y) which brought out my pokemon love! The best bit is that they’re released a new Eeveelution – Sylveon. This means there’s now 9 Eeveelutions… so of course my brain thinks, “Hmm that would be a perfect patchwork cushion!” I tried to match the fabric and the thread to the pokemon. I completed Espeon, Jolteon and Glaceon last January, but lost interest and did some cross stitching instead :$ I picked it up again recently and here’s what I have so far!

Espeon

Espeon

Sylveon

Sylveon

Jolteon - I used some long stitch to give it that spikey appearance

Jolteon – I used some long stitch to give it that spikey appearance

Glaceon

Glaceon

Flareon - I tried to make him look a bit fluffy

Flareon – I tried to make him look a bit fluffy

Eevee - the obvious centrepiece

Eevee – the obvious centrepiece

Here's them all together. I'm trying to find the best combination of colours so it's not fixed yet. Just working on Vaporeon up the top.

Here’s them all together. I’m trying to find the best combination of colours so it’s not fixed yet. Just working on Vaporeon up the top.

I’m not looking forward to Umbreon (on black) since I’m not sure how to mark on the lines. When I’m finished I will sew them all up into a cushion cover 🙂